Saturday, December 19, 2009

Love to be a Teacher

Recently, I met two of my ex students whom have become a teacher: Mr See Yuin Chuan (Bio /math teacher) graduated from UPSI and Mr Teh ( math teacher),a UM graduate..and I’m expecting more of my students to be teachers…in a few years time…and when Linx Lina dropped comment in my chat box…it inspires me to share something about being a teacher with everybody…...Welcome to our Club: Lina..

25 reasons to love my job as a teacher-
1. Sharing my experiences
2. The ability to help students achieve their best
3. Inspiring them not only academically but personally
4. The thrill of a good and well thought out lesson is incomparable
5. The students’ inquisitiveness makes me want to go and teach them, and push them harder
6. I love the instant feedback I get from my students about my own performance, even when they don’t realize they’re doing it
7. Being able to interact with students who are mostly good and do try to do what’s expected of them
8. Sharing my enthusiasm for my subject matter –
9. I love learning and I love the interaction between teachers and students
10. My coworkers are great
11. I enjoy all of the funny stories that my job provides, my job is never ever boring
12. I feel smarter every day that I come home from my job
13. Being able to explore diverse issues and situations
14. The rare occasion they come back for a visit, it is a joyful reunion
15. I have control over my job — I decide what and when I teach, I decide if I am going to stay late, I can take my work home if needed (Though I don’t do that as often as I used to)
16. I like working with teenagers, plus, I learn self assertiveness from teenagers.
17. I get to work with books, which I love
18. I honestly and truly believe that teaching is what I was born to do; maybe God really does plan our lives and if we follow that plan we will be very happy with our lives
19. I seem to be good at it
20. I love messing with their heads
21. I love the power of controlling lives – well, at least for an hour or so a day!
22. I love listening to their ideas and seeing the way their minds work
23. I love the push to keep learning, to keep discovering new questions and to help students discover their own questions
24. I enjoy sharing my love of learning and my passion for certain topics
25. It goes beyond just teaching the material…it’s about making a personal connection with the students
Adapted from : http://www.soyouwanttoteach.com/50-reasons-to-love-your-job-as-a-teacher/

If you want to be a great teacher, these are the things you should begin to develop first.


Top 5 Character Traits of Great Teachers- Students view:
1. Inspired me and never let me settle for anything less than my best
2. Compassionate, caring, made me feel important and welcomed, made a personal connection with me
3. Were demanding, pushed me hard
4. Had a great sense of humor
5. Knowledge of the subject matter
Other specifics
1. Wasn’t afraid of what other people thought
2. Passion for the subject matter
3. Challenged me to think beyond just the answer in the textbook
4. Listened to my ideas
5. Taught me new things
6. Kept things interesting
7. They were interactive
8. Added personal elements to the classroom
9. Organized
10. Wasn’t fake or shallow with comments to students
11. Discipline
12. Confidence
13. They were problem solvers, rather than simply problem identifiers

Adapted from : http://www.soyouwanttoteach.com/top-5-character-traits-of-great-teachers/

No comments:

Post a Comment